Sunday, February 17, 2013

Au ciné

(Day 42, Grenoble)

One of my absolute favorite things in life, regardless of my location, is watching movies. On my computer, on TV, at the theater, DVDs, VHS, BlueRay, I love movies. I'm no expert in the art of cinema or anything, I never feel as if I could personally take over for my history of French cinema professor should he take ill. My taste in movies isn't even all that great. I love superhero movies, Disney, and romantic comedies, but I love watching movies. When we were younger my friends and other family members used to make fun of the fact that my family went to the movies so often, and that's not something that has died down in France. I've gone to the theater quite often. While, unfortunately, only one of the movies I watched was in France, it's tons of fun. I saw Django Unchained (with French subtitles), Le monde de nemo (Finding Nemo, in French), The Master (with French subtitles), Happiness Therapy (Silver Linings Playbook, with French subtitles), and Les Misérables (with French subtitles). I also had French Disney movie night with my friends yesterday where we watched Les indestructibles (The Incredibles, in French with French subtitles). It was tons of fun, but it was ridiculous. Usually when we watch movies with French subtitles we read along and critique the inaccurate translations. Les indestructibles was unacceptable. At this point we know enough French to sort of figure it out, but the characters were saying different things than the subtitles which was driving us nuts. Given they were speaking fast and the subtitles were a solid summary of what was being said, but it was psycho. It was totally messing with my head which was awful. Eventually we were just quoting the movie in English ("I am your wife! I am the greatest good you will ever have!). I definitely am going to be watching more movies in French. It makes me feel wicked snooty when I can argue with the translations.

In other news,  my friends and I leave for Barcelona in 4 days! It better be as warm as the Inferno as well. I just want to thaw out, that's all. I'm not asking for too much, I think. I've missed feeling my toes. Also midterms are this week. They don't count for a grade and are just offered to American students to see where we are knowledge-wise, but it's going to be helpful. The only grade that counts for these classes is the final exams, so, for the first time, I want to take my midterms.

Don't tell anyone though.

No comments:

Post a Comment