Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Oops, I did it again...

(Day 80, Grenoble)

Sorry for being slow on the blogging! Sometimes I forget that this isn't my usual life and that I'm not going to be living in France forever and be a stone's throw away from the best food ever. I don't like that that's not the case either. I've got just under 2 months left, and I'm not going to think about this whole leaving thing. Moving on. While I've spoken about my assorted travels through Europe, I haven't spoken much about my travels through France. With my study abroad program, we go on the occasional excursion doing fun things around Grenoble and France.
Just in case you don't know where exactly I'm studying, or where any of these places are that I'm talking about, feel free to consult this hand map on which I have noted where I've been/am going. 

So Grenoble is down in Southwestern France, wicked close to Italy and Switzerland. In our first excursion we took a really quick bus ride (an hour and a half or two hours). Unfortunately, it was cold and snowy and we were given a very strange tour around the city that was over two hours long (everyone knows the best tour is an hour and a half and no longer) and included hitting up a million passageways from street to street and a medieval clothing store. We did see two of their cathedrals, and we got to eat some pretty good food (I don't remember exactly what it was but I remember liking it). Apparently Lyon is the gastronomical capital of France. Just a fun fact. We did have to walk up a rather steep hill/mountain whatever to get to their big cathedral while it was snowing, which put a damper on our day. Luckily, we live so close to Lyon that it could be a very quick day trip, should we choose.  So, pictures, I guess.



We also went to Dijon a few weekends ago. It was a much longer bus ride and we spent the night there. Dijon is the capital of the Burgundy region of France and was the home of the Dukes of Burgundy back in the day. It was a really cute city and definitely still has a bunch of its medieval architecture and that general feel about it. Honestly, that was the morning Erin left and I slept very well in Dijon! However the food there, is impeccable. Honestly, go for it (but I do say that about the entirety of France...). We also went to Beaune the next day to see the Hospice of Beaune, the first hospital in France, and we went to a wine tasting as well. It was a really cute, totally stereotypical French city. So pictures from both!


Look who I found in Dijon!!!





So that's where I've been so far! This weekend is Easter and I'm visiting family friends in Switzerland (woo traveling), and in a few weeks we're headed to Nice for 3 days. We're also in the process of planning our April vacation to Venice and Cinque Terre. While the Italian train system's website is not excited about the trip, we're definitely looking forward to it. I'm sorry that I don't have any hard hitting exposes on any hot topics! I'll work on it and find something that bothers me for next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment