Saturday, January 12, 2013

La télé

(Day 6, Grenoble)

So last night, Richard asked if I had ever watched TV in French, which, of course I haven't. He then suggested I should, that's how I'll get better at French! So we all sat down and watched NCIS en français. It was a little difficult to follow, haha. I never realized how fast people speak in television shows in the United States. Props to the kids who can follow it when it's not their first language. It was definitely a challenge, but it was good too.

One major thing that's already got me about France, maybe Europe in general, is that they don't like to heat their homes. I guess in France utilities are really expensive. We don't use many lights in the house, you take really short showers or turn off the water in between shampooing/conditioning, etc., and houses don't use a lot of heat. This means that I'm generally wicked cold and I'm not sure if I'm actually clean, haha. Okay, so their 'shower' is un peu bizarre. It's a bathtub with one of those hand-held shower heads, but instead of being able to stand and shower, I have to sit down in the tub and wash myself that way, otherwise water will get allll over the bathroom. I ventured to use it this morning, and it was interesting. I think that's what I miss right now, a real shower. 125 days until I can take a real shower, haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment