Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Let's Talk about Food

(Day 16, Grenoble)

Okay, so something I occasionally mention, but not nearly enough, is the food here. So totally underrated. HAHA JUST KIDDING! A common stereotype (or maybe it's just a fact now) is that the food en France is amazing. Backstory, you may or may not know that I am rather picky when it comes to food. Forever, I've always got chicken fingers (occasionally renamed chicken thumbs, chicken tenders, or chicken strips) at every restaurant under the sun. Sometimes I branch out and go for pasta, or something else crazy exotic like that. My mother can attest to this fact. Whenever she tries to get fancy and make something out of the ordinary, I pick and choose and eat, like, nothing on my plate (sorry mom).

Maybe it's the stereotype, and maybe it's the whole "eat everything on your plate or you'll be deported" line we were fed during orientation, but I am a member of the clean plate club every meal. I never know what the food is, and sometimes, I think it's okay that I don't understand what they're saying when they explain the meals to me. I have loved everything (except one meal this past week which was a mysterious vegetable encircled by ham, which was rather gross). Tonight, for instance, was some specialty of Lyon that was, once again, mysterious. Regardless, it was delicious! We also have dessert after every meal, which is why, when I come back from France as an unrecognizable five million pound blob that needs two extra plane seats, you should not be surprised. Dessert was like a magical apple that had exploded but was whole and was magic and I love it. Maybe I need to keep a food diary or something so I can remember all of this....

No comments:

Post a Comment